A tasty way to add protein from a nonmeat source. It tastes better the longer it sits.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 small red pepper, medium dice
- 1 English cucumber, medium dice
- 1 large tomato chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- feta cheese for topping (optional)
- sliced olives for topping (optional)
- Rinse and drain the bulgur wheat. Place in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Stir gently to mix. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about an hour to an hour and a half, or until the bulgur wheat has softened and absorbed the water. Drain any remaining water.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Let stand for 20 minutes to let the flavors marry. Top with feta cheese and/or olives if desired. Serve with pita bread, pita chips, or naan.
copyright Ida Walker