A vegan cheese without nuts, soy, or dairy.
- Cheese Mixture
- 2 cups water (filtered, if possible)
- 1 cup rolled oats (regular, not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato, cooled and peeled
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cooled and peeled
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (white or black)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Agar-Agar Mixture
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons agar-agar powder
- Make the cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of the water into a high-speed blender. Add the rest of the cheese ingredients except for the chives. Add the remaining 1 cup of water and blend well to thoroughly mix. Add the chives and set aside.
- Make the agar-agar mixture.
- Place the water and agar-agar powder in s medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, still stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened. It should flow like molasses.
- Add to the cheese mixture immediately and blend about 30 to 45 seconds to make sure it's all combined well.
- Pour the mixture into your mold(s) of choice. Tap the bottom of the mold firmly on the counter to eliminate air bubbles.
- Let sit on the counter for approximately 1 hour. Place in the refrigerator for at least another hour before turning out onto a serving plate.
Adjust spices/herbs to your liking. Leave out the smoked paprika, add cinnamon, and you'll have a nice breakfast or dessert cheese.
copyright Ida Walker