Let's Talk Mustard
Make your own mustard and have it your way. Don't expect bright yellow; this is a grainy mustard.
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Pour into a glass jar, top with lid, and let sit out at room temperature. Taste after 3 days. If it's too spicy, let it sit a few more days.
- Once it has the flavor you like, you can leave it as it is or blend in a food processor until it reaches the desired consistency. If it's too thick, add warm water a little at a time.
- Return to a clean jar. Cover and let sit at room temperature until it has the flavor you like (mine took 8 days).
- When flavor is to your liking, refrigerate.
Instead of using all yellow mustard seeds, add some brown ones. Change the flavor by switching types of vinegar used.
copyright Ida Walker