A great cookie filled with the flavor of spices we know and love. Perfect for dunking in hot tea.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground green cardamon
- Tubinado sugar for coating
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- When the butter and sugar are creamed, add the egg and extracts and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly and carefully add the dry ingredients. Mix until blended.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in turbinado sugar.
- Refrigerate on a parchment-lined or nonstick cookie sheet for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, until they just start to get a light brown.
If you're not using cinnamon extract, you may want to use 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
copyright Ida Walker