A cake filled with the tastes and smells of spices and fresh oranges. Use the spices you enjoy, adjusting amounts to your taste.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 14 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8 X 8 cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and shortening.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Slowly add the sifted dry ingredients, alternating with the milk.
- Stir in the walnuts and orange zest.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Start checking after 20 minutes.
- While the cake is still hot, pour the orange juice over the top.
If you're grinding spices, and I hope you are, and find their smells lingering in your grinder, grind some white rice. It works for me.