With just 4 ingredients, you can have wheat flakes that rival the mass-produced kind.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Mix in the water, creating a thin batter, similar in consistency to paint.
- Pour onto a parchment-lined or lightly sprayed cookie sheet. Tip the pan from side to side so the batter spreads thinly and consistency over the pan. It doesn't have to cover the entire pan.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, or until crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Cut into flakes.
- If some of the batter isn't crisp, flip over and return to oven. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until crisp, checking often.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you prefer dark brown sugar, use that. These are your flakes! Be sure to try rye flakes, too.
copyright Ida Walker