Enjoy the bounty of an autumn harvest.
- 4 cups delicata squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups apples of your choice, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound Italian sausage (if in links, remove casings)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Aleppo peppers (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of a neutral cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add sausage until it just begins to brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, and cook until the squash is just short of fork tender.
- Remove cover and cook until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve alone or over rice.
Any winter squash can be used if you can't find delicata.
Add some kale during the reducing phase.
The addition of more stock makes this a hearty soup.
copyright Ida Walker