A tasty fruit spread that's even good on ice cream!
- 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/4 cup honey, preferably raw and local
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until it has reached the desired consistency, making sure to stir frequently,
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour into a jar or other airtight container; do not cover. Let it come to room temperature, cover, and store in the refrigerator.
If you'd rather use fresh pumpkin, you'll probably want to run the pulp through a food mill or take it for a spin in the food processor or blender.
Use whatever spices you like and in the amounts you want. Pumpkin spice blend is available in most grocery stores.