Rye Pizza Dough
A great base for a Reuben pizza. Add your favorite toppings.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2/3 cup water at 120 degrees
- 1 tablespoon corn or other neutral flavor oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the all-purpose flour and the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add the water and oil, and mix well. Gradually add the rest of the all-purpose flour until you have a soft, slightly sticky ball.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes.
- Cover and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Form the crust and parbake for 7 minutes (optional).
Slightly cracking the caraway seeds helps release their flavor. So does toasting them.
copyright Ida Walker