Break out the black beans and enjoy a tasty soup.
- 3 1/2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight or for about 8 hours
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- black pepper to taste
- chicken or vegetable stock to cover, plus 2 inches
- hot sauce (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the corn in a large sauce pot or slow cooker. Cook covered over medium heat until the beans are almost tender. (In my slow cooker, it took about 4 hours on low.)
- Add the corn, and cook until the corn is warmed through. Check for seasoning and serve.
- Add hot sauce just before serving if desired.
Like salsa? Add some to the soup.
You'll see there is no salt in this recipe. Personally, I didn't find it needed any. But if you think it needs it, add to taste.
A dollop of sour cream just before serving is also good. A bit of kimchi also adds a different layer to the flavor profile.