Peanut Butter, Soaked Style
Homemade--and healthy--peanut butter.
- 4 cups raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- unfiltered water to cover the peanuts and 2 inches
- In a large jar, combine the peanuts, salt, and water. Cover with a sprouting lid or paper towel secured by a rubber band. Let sit at room temperature for at least 7 hours and up to 12.
- Drain and rinse the peanuts well.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer on dehydrator tray(s). Dehydrate at about 135 degrees for 12 hours or until crispy.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring often. To check for doneness, taste one.
- Process until smooth (or crunchy style) in a blender or food processor.
- Spoon into jars and store in the refrigerator.
This technique works for most nut butters. If using raw cashews, skip the dehydrating step and lightly roast after soaking.
copyright Ida Walker