The name says it all. The familiar flavors of lox, cream cheese, and red onion combined.
- 8 ounces cream cheese or soft cheese of choice, at room temperature
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, finely diced
- 2 ounces finely chopped red onion
- about 1 ounce freeze-dried chives
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except chives.
- Form into a ball or log. Roll in the chives.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Let it warm slightly before serving to aid spreadability.
- Serve with bagel or pita chips, bagels, or pumpernickel or rye bread.
Don't like red onion? Use scallions or shallots. If texture is the problem, grate the onion and use the juice in the cheese mixture.
Try rolling the cheese ball in parsley or scallions.