Not quite like the standard shrimp and grits, but tasty and easy to make.
- 1 1/4 cups grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken, shrimp, or seafood stock
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded, deribbed, and chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and stock to a boil. Add the grits and peppers. Cover and cook over low heat until the grits have thickened.
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan on low heat. Add the shrimp and garlic, and cook until the shrimp are pink and done.
- Stir the heavy cream into the grits and then add the shrimp/garlic mixture and any butter left in the pan.
- Check for seasoning and serve.
If using dehydrated peppers, rehydrate them in hot water. They should be added to the grits when adding the cream.
Mix up your pepper choice. Add yellow and orange bell peppers, for example.
A quarter cup of chopped red onion is another option. Top with chopped fresh scallions before serving.