'Tis the Season for Coleslaw. Use your imagination and make it truly your own.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/3 cup sugar (start with 1/4 and adjust if necessary when the dressing is mixed)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded or chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate while you make the salad.
- Prep and combine the slaw ingredients, except for the celery seed.
- Add the dressing and mix well. Mix in the celery seed.
- Check for seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
Though it's traditional to use green cabbage, it's also good with red, savoy, or a combination of cabbages.
It's also good with shredded broccoli, red and/or green bell peppers, and even with a dollop of horseradish in the dressing.
If using chopped celery, reduce the celery seed to 1/2 tablespoon.