A tasty and healthy ketchup
- 12 ounces no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/4 plus 1/8 cup filtered water
- 1/8 cup whey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (preferably raw)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon noniodized salt (preferably sea salt)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Mix together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour into a clean, 1 pint jar. Be sure to leave an inch head room. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 2-4 days. Check for flavor after 2 days. Refrigerate.
Use the spice amounts as jumping-off points. Add as much or as little as you like.
Add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne for some heat.
Besides being good on its own, mix some with sour cream for a nice salad dressing. Add cayenne and some Worcestershire sauce, and you have a base for barbecue sauce.