Never buy mass-produced crackers again.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water (with more on standby if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except the water.
- Add 1/4 cup water and mix until it holds together. The dough should not be sticky.
- Flour the work surface and rolling pin. Roll out the dough until it is between 1/8 and 1/16 inch thick, turning often to avoid sticking.
- Cut into individual crackers.
- Place on a parchment-covered cookie sheet and pierce with a fork.
- Bake about 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
You can use one type of flour of a combination. One of my favorites is a mix of 1/4 cup whole wheat and 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour. But use what you have or suits your fancy.
If you want a saltier taste, add the salt to the top of the cracker, after scoring.