Why buy pancake or waffle mix when you can make your own. Stored properly, this will keep for 3-5 months.
- FOR THE MIX
- 5 cups (700 grams) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (85 grams) nonfat, dry milk
- 1/4 cup (17.5 grams) sugar, Truvia, or Splenda
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- FOR PANCAKES/WAFFLES
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (or 2 egg whites)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the mix. Pour into an airtight container, and store in a cool dry place.
- To use, put the pancake mix in a medium bowl. Stir gently to break up any lumps. Add the egg, water, and oil. Mix gently, taking care not to overmix. Pour onto prepared pan or waffle iron.
If you don't have or don't want to use nonfat dry milk, replace the water with milk when making pancakes/waffles.
If you'd rather use honey or agave syrup for sweetening, add when using the mix.
If you like thicker pancakes or waffles, add more mix to your batter. For thinner ones, add more water or milk.