Potato salad has been one of my favorite foods since childhood. And while this one is close to that beloved one, I've tweaked it a bit to make it my own.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- dash dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, scallions, celery, and dill weed.
- In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, mustard, pickle relish, paprika, and dill weed.
- Gently stir the mayonnaise mixture into the potato mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Miracle Whip or mayonnaise? It's your choice. I do find that when I use mayonnaise, I generally add more sweet pickle relish.
No relish? My childhood version used chopped up gherkins or other sweet pickle, along with some of the juice from the jar.
To add a smoky flavor, use smoked paprika, but in moderation.