Everything you like on your favorite cheeseburger becomes a tasty macaroni and cheese.
- 3 cups macaroni (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/2 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/4-1/2 cup whole or 1 percent milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Cook the pasta to al dente stage according to package instructions.
- In a medium saute pan, brown the beef or turkey. Just before it's cooked through, add the onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Combine the cheese and 1/4 cup of milk and set aside.
- Drain cooked pasta well, and return to the pot. Turn to low.
- Using a slotted spoon or spider, sir in the beef/turkey and onion mixture to the pot with the pasta.
- Stir in the cheese and milk mixture. Continue to stir until the the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the relish, mustard, and Sriracha sauce.
- Check seasonings. If too thick, add the reserved milk.
Include whatever condiments you like on a cheeseburger. And in the amounts you enjoy. Though the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sweet pickle relish, I generally add more because I love it!
Though I make this mac and cheese on the stove, it can be finished in the oven or under the broiler. Add bread crumbs to mimic the bun.