Slow Cooker Beef Stew
What a perfect food for a cold day. Or any type of day, for that matter.
- 1 1/2 pounds of cubed beef
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 5 small potatoes, halved
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan.
- In a medium dish or plastic bag, season the flour with the salt and pepper. Add the beef cubes and coat lightly. Brown on all sides in the heated oil, taking care not to crowd the pan.
- When the beef is almost brown, add the tomato paste and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except for the peas and mushrooms, in the slow cooker. Stir in the browned meat mixture.
- Cook on low for 6 to 9 hours.
- Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the peas and mushrooms. Check seasoning.
For a little flavor boost, add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Corn is another tasty addition.
copyright Ida Walker